Best Kitchen Scale for Pizza Dough
When making pizza dough, precise measurements are essential to making the best pizza crust. A kitchen scale is a must-have to get an accurate measurement of each ingredient every time. We have reviewed dozens of kitchen scales and have chosen only the best devices to include on our list. If you’re looking for a kitchen scale to help you create perfect pizza dough, consider one of the following top-rated scales.
- From dual platforms to pull-out displays, the kitchen scales included in our list have unique features that enhance their usability and allow them to stand out.
- To be considered for our list of the best scales for pizza dough, the scale had to have a tare function that allows you to subtract the weight of the container you’re using, to get the most accurate reading for your ingredients. This is an essential feature when making pizza dough.
- Most of the kitchen scales we reviewed had a maximum weight limit of 11 pounds (5kg). However, the Ooni Dual Platform Digital Scales, the Nicewell Digital Kitchen Scale, and the My Weigh KD-8000 can accommodate larger measurements.
Best for Dough: My Weigh KD-8000 Kitchen Digital Scale – Buy on Amazon
The My Weigh KD-8000 Kitchen Scale has a weighing capacity of up to 8,000 grams (17 pounds or 8 kilograms). It comes with removable LCD covers to protect the buttons and a removable stainless-steel platform. Other features include programmable auto-off and an adjustable backlight.
|Scale||My Weigh KD-8000 Kitchen Digital Scale|
|Dimensions||9.8 x 7.4 x 3.5” (24.8 x 18.7 x 3.5cm)|
|Materials||Glass, stainless steel|
|Weight Limit||17lb (8kg)|
|Units||oz, lb, g, lb:oz, kg|
|Power||3 AAA batteries, AC adaptor (included)|
|Features||• Adjustable backlit LCD display
• Removable protective LCD covers (1 hard-cover, 3 disposable soft-covers)
• Last unit used memory
- Baker’s Math/Percentage option – The Baker’s Math/Percentage Weighing function on the KD-8000 allows bakers to weigh their ingredients in proportion to the flour. This eliminates the need for weighing in teaspoons, cups, and more, by allowing you to work only with percentage.
- LCD covers to protect buttons – The KD-8000 includes LCD covers (one hard-cover and three disposable soft-covers) that protect the buttons. When working with various ingredients, like dough, these covers are great for keeping the LCD display clean.
- Heavier than other options – At 2.5 pounds, the My Weigh KD-8000 is the heaviest kitchen scale we reviewed.
Best Overall: Ooni Dual Platform Digital Scales – Buy on Amazon
Ooni is well-known for its sleek and innovative products and the Dual Platform Digital Scales are no exception. With brushed stainless-steel platforms and a matte black plastic base, this is one device you can leave on your counter in full view.
The Ooni Dual Platform Digital Scales have a weight limit of 22 pounds on the large platform. Only one other scale on our list, the Nicewell Digital Scale, can accommodate that much weight. It’s a feature that is especially useful when making large batches of dough for multiple pizzas. And with pinpoint accuracy, you can be sure your dough will come out right every time.
|Scale||Ooni Dual Platform Digital Scales|
|Dimensions||12 x 7 x 11″ (31 x 18 x 30cm)|
|Materials||Plastic, brushed stainless steel|
|Weight Limit||• Large platform: 10,000g/22lb/10,000ml/350fl.oz
• Small platform: 200g/0.4lb/200ml/7fl.oz
|Increments||• Large platform: 1g/0.1oz/1ml/0.1fl.oz
• Small platform: 0.1g/0.02oz/0.1ml/0.02fl.oz
|Units||oz, g, ml, fl oz|
|Power||3 AAA batteries (not included)|
|Features||• Dual LCD display
• Custom-fit measuring dish for yeast or herbs
- Dual platforms – The Ooni digital scale is the only kitchen scale on our list with two platforms for measuring ingredients. Both platforms can be used simultaneously; the smaller platform is perfect for measuring herbs or yeast.
- Batteries not included – The Ooni Dual Platform Digital Scales require three AAA batteries, which aren’t included with your purchase.
- Availability – This Ooni kitchen scale is currently sold out on the Ooni website. Because of the brand’s popularity, Ooni products are frequently unavailable and sell out quickly, which means you may have a hard time getting your hands on one.
Best Alternative: Escali Primo Digital Kitchen Scale – Buy on Amazon
The New York Times referred to the Escali Primo Digital Scale as “one of the best small investments you can make in the kitchen.” We agree, hence it is spot on our list of the best scales for pizza dough. While it can be used to measure the ingredients for just about anything, we especially like the frustration-free design of this scale when creating a delicious pizza dough.
It takes less than a second from the Escali Primo Digital Kitchen Scale to register weights and measurements are consistently accurate to the gram. Plus, it doesn’t automatically turn off until the scale has been inactive for over four minutes. This scale is available in seven colors: black, chrome, pumpkin orange, royal blue, soft white, tarragon green, and warm red.
|Scale||Escali Primo Digital Kitchen Scale|
|Dimensions||8.5 x 6 x 1.5” (21.5 x 15.2 x 3.8cm)|
|Weight Limit||11lb (5kg)|
|Units||oz, lb:oz, g|
|Power||2 AA batteries (included)|
|Features||• Sealed control panel to protect against the elements
• Non-slip rubber feet
• Four-minute auto-off feature
• Available in seven different colors
- Stays on for 4 minutes before automatically shutting off – The Escali Primo Digital Kitchen Scale has to be inactive for more than four minutes before it automatically turns off, which saves you from losing a measurement before you’re ready.
- Exceeding the weight limit, even while off, throws it out of calibration – Even if it is unlikely that you will overload the Escali Primo Digital Kitchen Scale with more than 11 pounds (5kg), its calibration can be thrown off even when the scale is off. This means that you will have to be careful to not pile other kitchen gadgets or dishes on top of the scale. The scale can’t be recalibrated and the warranty is voided if the weight limit has been exceeded.
For pizza dough, the KD-8000 from My Weight is the perfect option. It has a feature to measure baker’s percentage, and it is incredibly accurate. For perfect results, make sure to use our pizza dough calculator.
Moreover, if you can get your hands on the Ooni scale, it’s a perfect option. A slightly simpler option, but still a great performer, is the Escali Primo Digital Kitchen Scale.