We use an expression in the grilling industry. It goes something like this: You get what you pay for.
During primetime grilling season, we’re all inundated with “deals” on everything from grills to grates to flavor bars to lighter fluid and charcoal, and just about anything else you can put in or near a grill. And while saving a buck or two on certain grill accessories may make sense, saving a few dollars on a key grilling ingredient only to wind up with an inferior product that won’t perform and is likely to lead to disappointment … well, let’s not!
There’s another expression we’re fond of in the grilling business: If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Among other main grilling ingredients, it’s particularly important that you don’t skimp on the brand of charcoal you’re putting in your kettle-style grill — whether you’re cooking with a Made in the USA KettlePizza insert or the grill straight-up. If the flyer or newspaper ad you’re looking at is encouraging you to purchase a no-name brand of charcoal, or if your local hardware or big-box store has pallets of a no-name charcoal piled high near the point of sale, walk away.
Don’t be lulled into the appearance of a good deal by a wannabe charcoal brand. Instead, walk right over to where the Kingsford Original Charcoal is stored, and drop a bag or two into your carriage knowing that you’ll be pouring into your grill some of the finest charcoal available.
We will not use any other brand! Kingsford Original Charcoal is the choice of KettlePizza founders!
Here’s why we think Kingsford — which is the leading manufacturer of charcoal in the U.S. (with 80 percent market share) — is the best.
- Kingsford creates that real smoky flavor we all love. How? By making each briquet with natural ingredients and real wood.
- Kingsford has improved an already great product by adding what the company calls Sure Fire Grooves®. Kingsford coals now light faster than ever.
- Veteran barbecue experts, including cooks at barbecue contests and grilling book authors, use Kingsford and only Kingsford.
- A great product deserves a great website. If you love to grill and haven’t visited the Kingsford website, make your way over there. The site has outstanding info on how to select the perfect grill for your needs, and the best ways to light charcoal and manage grill temperature.
- The people at Kingsford appreciate great food. They have a killer recipe page organized by main ingredient with easy-to-follow instructions.
So next chance you get, pick up a bag of Kingsford, turn on the music and fire up the KettlePizza.